Saturday 6 April 2013

Black forest gateau banana bread

I woke up feeling wretched after a crap night where I couldn't breath. I hate colds. So I took to the kitchen this morning to make something healthy. This is what I made, with thanks to Nigella.

Whilst watching rubbish on 4OD, I boiled 100g of mixed fruit (with the peel picked out - yuck) with 75ml of cherry brandy. Then let it sit, covered, for as long as you like to make, as Nigella says, aromatically stickily swollen fruit. During the pre programme adverts, in a medium bowl mix together 160g plain flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 25g of really dark cocoa powder. I forgot to add 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb of soda. Pfft - or rather, no pffft.

Melt 125g butter and in a large bowl, whisk it with 150g whatever sugar you have left over. Mine was half caster, half granulated. Continue whisking and add 3 horribly ripe bananas, 2 eggs and the drained alcoholic fruit. Ooops I accidentally let some of the brandy get in too. Add the chocolatey flour and whisk well.

Pour into a buttered loaf tin, dredge the top with demerera sugar, and put into the oven at 180 degrees or so until it stops wobbling. This will take well over an hour and the smell makes you really hungry! Once it's done, hack an end off and smear a bit of butter on. Eat. Make your flatmate jealous.

No, I'm not feeling better but it's taken my mind off the sniffles and hurty toe. It's got fruit in it so it must be healthy...

No comments:

Post a Comment